Is it safe to go to the gym during the pandemic?
As the coronavirus keeps spreading, many are concerned about keeping up with their workouts.
Students from all around the world are contacting us with these urgent questions;
- Is it safe to go to the gym during the pandemic?
- Should I take a break from working out?
- Should I workout at home?
- How can I protect myself?
- My gym is in lock down, what should I do?
Here is Dr Fitness USA's take on this matter
The British medical journal The Lancet released a series of studies showing that physical inactivity causes 1 in 10 deaths worldwide, putting it on par with the dangers of smoking and obesity. The results also suggest that public health officials treat this situation as a pandemic. Specifically, Harvard researchers say that inactivity is responsible for an increase in deaths from coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, breast and colon cancers, and caused more than 5.3 million deaths in 2008 worldwide. Harvard researchers also say if physical activity went up by as little a 10% to 20% worldwide, it could save between a half-million and 1.3 million lives each year.
BOOSTING YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS A MUST
The first principle for avoiding getting sick, whether it may be the coronavirus, the flu, cancer, heart disease, or any other deadly conditions, is to have a robust immune system. The laws of nature state that the weak dies and the strong survives.
Boosting your immune system is achieved through optimizing your body to work at maximum efficiency through a healthy diet, appropriate strength increasing exercises and stress management.
STRESS AND YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM
Your nervous system controls the healing mechanism of the body, movements, thoughts, and emotions; much like an outdated electrical panel of a house, when you plug in too many appliances, it will blow a fuse. The same happens with the body. When the nervous system is on overload, the body will break down.
In times of high stress, it becomes even more important to work out not only to relieve stress by strengthening the nervous system physically but also to produce endorphins, the feel-good hormone, which counteracts the stress response that damages the immune system.
You must keep your body strong, healthy, and in optimum condition, ready to fight infections, which is of utmost importance for everyone now more than ever. Exercise also improves mental health, relieves depression, and increases clear thinking, which can help to maintain physical, mental and emotional equilibrium in these difficult times of pandemic.
DOS AND DONT'S OF EXERCISE DURING THE PANDEMIC
Avoid group classes
Health officials are recommending social distancing, so if your thing is Zumba, spin classes, spartan races, boot camps, marathons, then this may be more harmful than healthy. You might also want to skip the treadmill and take a brisk walk outdoor, which will give you the added benefit of breathing some fresh air. Over exhorting yourself with long durations of aerobic activities can also weaken your immune system.
Avoid lying down on the dirty gym floor,
doing push-ups or planks, for example. Bring your own yoga mat.
Avoid the sauna and steam room
Those with colds often use them to break up congestion in the sinuses and lungs, making the sauna a cesspool of germs.
Favor weight lifting
In recent years, many studies have pointed toward strength training as the number one anti-aging sport for longevity and boosting the immune system. People of all ages are now flocking to gyms worldwide to stay strong, and potentially saving their lives!
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, coronavirus spreads more easily between people standing within about 6 feet of each other than through contact with contaminated surfaces. Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces appear to lower the chances of transmission.
Here is what to do
- Be vigilant and wipe equipment, dumbbells, barbells, handles, etc., before and after use, with a 60% alcohol-based disinfectant.
- Wash your hands frequently with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds, and also make sure to wash under your fingernails, which often people forget to do.
- Wash your gym clothes and gloves daily.
- Making homemade wipes can be done by soaking paper towels in one part bleach to nine parts of water. You can keep this supply with you in the car or gym bag. Use a Tupperware container or something sealable to store them in. Keep the solution in a spray bottle and use as needed.
As we collectively take proactive measures to keep our workout stations clean and adhere to proper self-hygiene standards, we will keep a safer environment for everyone. This applies to the gym environment and everywhere else, by the way.
Use common sense
If you live in a city with an outbreak, it may be a good idea to skip the gym for a while until things get under control. While working out at home may never be as effective as a complete training done in the gym with proper equipment, it is better than nothing and will keep you moving while helping to keep your sanity.
Dr Fitness USA has set up coronavirus emergency programs that you can do at home, if you are in a lock down area, or if you just want to play it safe. Book a call to inquire about our home workout plans
Outdoor workouts can also be a substitute, just as long as you keep your distance with people.
However, if you live someplace that has not experienced an outbreak, your chances of getting infected by the virus at the gym are slim, as long as you keep 3 to 5 feet distance with other people and adhere to proper hygiene principles as listed above. The benefits of continuing with your gym workouts will far exceed the dangers, specially now that the gyms are so empty!
Gyms actually have three advantages over other places where people gather or shop:
Dr Fitness USA’s strength training protocol is guaranteed to increase your strength by 20% to 50%, boost your immune system and optimize your health, potentially saving your life.
Book a complimentary consultation Now
INQUIRE ABOUT OUR HOME PROGRAMS
“In my opinion, you are less likely to DIE from the virus if you are on DR FITNESS USA's program and optimize your body. I am doing that. Those who's T cells, immune systems, and bodies are optimized WILL WIN.”
Berny Dohrmann CEO Space International Founder
4Life® Transfer Factor Plus®Tri-Factor®Formula
Boosts your immune system by 437%
• Supports healthy immune system function that, in turn, promotes healthy energy levels and the healthy function of all other systems throughout the body*
• Contains 4Life Transfer Factor to educate immune cells and promote the immune system’s ability to more effectively recognize, respond to, and remember potential health threats*
• Includes Cordyvant, a proprietary blend of ingredients, such as maitake mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, cordyceps, IP-6 (inositol hexaphosphate), and olive leaf extract, to further nourish healthy, innate immune system function*
• Is protected by U.S. patents: 6,468,534 (extraction process for transfer factors from egg sources) and 6,866,868 (combination process of transfer factors from cow colostrum and chicken egg yolk)
This product information is approved for distribution only in the United States. © 2020 4Life Trademarks, LLC, All Rights Reserved. 122019US Label 040819US